Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Sharing Augsburg with Vietnam--GO AUGGIES!

I am blessed. I have have a job that I enjoy thorougly day in and day out. Of course, some days are easier than others, but I have deep passion for the work that I do. I AM BLESSED.



Yesterday I visited two high schools in Ho Chi Minh city and attended the Institute of International Education (IIE) college fair. There were over 2000 attendees and Augsburg's presence was felt. Several students approached me to share their story of how they learned about Augsburg and why they want to attend our "University". I was especially moved by their understanding of Augsburg's mission and how we live it out. Students talked to me about our website and how impressed they were with our marketing. MANY students actually wanted to take several of our inquiry cards with them because they "loved" the design. They talked to me about our commitment to service. One student knew about Augsburg because a friend of her's studied abroad in Minnesota and told her, "Augsburg is the best "University" in the area." This particular student gave me her completed application to Augsburg and told me that she is taking one year off after high school to do community service before beginning her pursuit of higher education. She understands Augsburg. Many students talked about their deep interest in becoming an "Auggie" because of their conversations with a recent graduate of Augsburg who is from Hanoi. They have learned about student life and Minneapolis through emails with her and are "very impressed." Augsburg's alumnus understand Augsburg. Our international presence is growing and I am proud.



Tomorrow I leave for Hong Kong. My journey continues and I am thankful for my time in Vietnam. I have connected with the families of current students, I have spent time with an alumni of Augsburg and her family, and I have made new connections that I look forward to nurturing. I am grateful to the people who have made my trip unique and who have shared their stories with me. Until next year, Vietnam....Chao tam biet.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Marissa,

It's so good to read about your journey! You're certainly experiencing many new sights, sounds and smells...be well, my friend!

Blessings,

Sally

Marissa Machado of Augsburg Intl Admissions said...

Thank you, Sally. I appreciate your comments. It is SO good to read something from people I know at home. I miss you!